Tuesday 11 June 2013

Cushion Cover with an Envelope Close

Gift Away...



Today's blog is something I made as a gift, and being as such I had to take extra care when making it.
My mum was in need of new covers for her large cushions and wanted something which would tie in with her current decoration.

Before making I thought I might have more of a task on my hands as I didn't have the actual cushions in front of me for my own measurements and checking... Meaning that I ended up over estimating the amount of fabric I need, oh well more for the stash!
To make I simply needed the fabric to cover them and co-ordinating thread. The amount of fabric I needed for a 50x50cm cushion was 54cm wide by 124cm long (times two and including seam allowances). The extra length allows for a 20cm overlap.


  • Firstly I laid my fabric out and measured out the sizing, I made a small mark at each point in washable pen. **After completing the cushions I realised I should have probably made a paper pattern of fully marked the shape out to ensure an accurate size and straight lines, but it didn't matter in the end anyway.**
  • Next the two shorter sides needed to be hemmed. I folded these over approx. 1/2" and pinned. Due to the fabric I was using ironing these down first wouldn't work but if you are working in cotton etc then ironing them may help to keep them flat and reduce the number of pins needed!
  • After this the next step was folding the fabric to give the envelope flap. Lay the hemmed fabric down right sides up. Then fold each short side into the middle so that they cross over, the cross over should be about the 20cm you have allowed for, making the length the correct 50cm overall.
  • Once you have done this you simply pin and sew up the side seams!
  • Cut away any excess and clip your corners down for a sharper point, turn the cover inside out (you may want to poke the corners through with something blunt) put it on and you're all done.

If you really fancy it you can add additional decorative buttons, ribbons or ric- rac. Something's you might want to put onto the cover before sewing it together, just plan your design first! With these cushions I am considering whether they need a button or two across the envelope to hold it more securely just because the fabric is quite thin and unlined. However for now they're staying as they are for a trail and error run. 


Feel free to comment with your own pictures or links to how you did it.

Happy Sewing! :-D

A.

xox


The beautiful original fabric!
Cut out and ready to be sewn
Ta-daaaah!

No comments: