Wednesday 5 June 2013

From a Dress to a Simple Skirt

When you find something pretty and broken you know there's got to be a way to fix it, right?


So this is a really simple idea, I brought a dress second hand and where someone had tried to cut the back label out they had also snipped the fabric (naughty, naughty!). I really liked the print on the skirt and thought it would still look good on its on and not as the dress. So I got snipping and sewing... 

**Advanced apologies prior to reading for the error of my photographing skills. I was using my phone rather than camera and didn't really think about the issue of photos being taken the wrong way to each other  So they have a bad quality and don't sit flush but it works better than just words... right?!**


So firstly I checked the dress itself on me in case I needed to adjust anything. Once happy with the fit I turned it inside out to look at how to detached the skirt.


Due to the waistband it seemed easier to just cut it like so and not unpick bits. This also left me with the tie around belt pieces. There was a small bit of elastic at the front to create the gathered look. I unpicked this - never know when you might need it! (This could be the reason for my huge fabric stash. OOPS).

Then I measure my new elastic for the waistband and got cutting (double check your own waist and how much your elastic stretches first!) After pinning the elastic on and photographing it I realised I'd used the wrong method for pinning elastic so I haven't included that step in the photos- I don't want you guys to be extra confused by me! Instead of doing this with a million pins all you need to do is pin it in four places - fold it in half and downwards pin each side, fold in the opposite way and pin again at the sides. Make sure to stretch the elastic as tight as you need it to go. Sew it around and there you go!



Although I like it on I'm not 100% sure whether I will go back and add a top, it could make my life easier for grabbing clothes but then my options are limited (I'm thinking a light pink tank top effect).

Any suggestions? Feel free to comment and let me know :-)


Amy

xox.

No comments: